THE HISTORY OF THE MUSEUM OF LITERATURE AND MUSIC IS ANYTHING BUT DULL – SINCE 1925, IT HAS CHANGED ITS NAME AND STRUCTURE NUMEROUS TIMES.

In 1936, a decision was taken to combine the collections of the two museums, establishing the Museum of Literature and Theatre in doing so. The new museum was set up on the fifth floor of a building on Krišjāņa Barona iela – a building that currently houses the Museum of Natural History.

The items listed serve as a testimony to Emīls Dārziņš's life and death; however, the method by which they were selected and the way they were described reflects the role and the type of life that Emīls Dārziņš's mother assumed after her son's death.

Viss krājuma darbs – krājuma veidošana, uzskaite un saglabāšana – ir virzīts uz tā galamērķi – pieejamību.

On 28th September, 1929, only sixteen days after Rainis passed away, the Rainis Museum was opened on the premises of the manor. Work on creating the museum had begun earlier that year, and the poet had taken an active part in the preparations.

That is how the Museum of Literature came to be," wrote Jānis Greste, who can be considered the founding father of the museum.